The middle of December is that magical period of time when we’re expected to indulge, right before we’re told to make a New Year’s resolution to undo the damage. But residents who pledge to be proactive this winter can come up with many excuses for why you absolutely should stay in bed: It’s too cold outside. Gyms can be expensive, and you spent all your money during the holidays. Your body is telling you to hibernate. And it’s really too cold outside.
But seeking fitness in Logan Square isn’t a challenge. The neighborhood boasts plenty of fitness groups run by community members. Many of these groups will continue to meet throughout the winter and don’t require equipment, a gym membership or lots of money to participate.
Community Fitness Programs In Logan Square
- Zumba By Monica meets every Saturday at 9 am in the basement of Grace United Methodist Church (3325 W. Wrightwood Ave.). Zumba, a dance fitness program, draws upon a variety of styles, such as salsa, merengue and bollywood dance. Instructor Monica Scott, says she believes Zumba is a more entertaining way to get in a high-intensity workout than other routines. Scott says that the workouts are easy to follow and adaptable to different activity levels, and all you’ll need is workout attire and a pair of athletic shoes. Drop-in prices for the month of December are a special price of $8 per class, and $10 per class the rest of the year.
Try Drop-in Classes at Fitness Centers
Looking to try out one of Logan Square’s fitness centers but afraid to commit? Many of them offer affordable drop-in prices so you can test the waters.
- Tula Yoga Studio (@TulaYogaStudio, 2827 W. Belden Ave.) offers a drop-in price of $16 per class.
- Moksha Yoga Center (@MokshaYoga, 2528 W. Armitage Ave.) provides drop-in rates at $18 per class, as well as a $65 intro-to-yoga package for five classes.
- The Temple of Kriya Yoga (2414 N. Kedzie Blvd.) provides Hatha yoga courses at a drop-in price of $12 per class, and the first class is free.
- Paramount Personal Training (2624 W. Armitage Ave.) holds individual and small group personal training classes at a drop-in rate of $25 per class with the first week of classes free.
- Crossfit Logan (2080 N. Milwaukee Ave.) offers one free trial week and a drop-in price of $25 per class.
- Intermix Fitness (1934 N. Campbell Ave.) combines cardiovascular and weight training exercises in semi-private classes at a drop-in rate of $25 per class. The first class is free.
- Frog Temple Pilates (1635 W Cortland St., Suite #2) lists a drop-in price of $18 per class for mat and prenatal yoga classes with the first class free.
Still Planning to Hibernate Until Spring?
Once the weather gets warmer, the Palmer Square Workout Club, at the corner of Humboldt Boulevard and Palmer Street, will continue its three weekly workout sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6:30 am. People at all fitness levels are welcome to join in the boot camp style workouts, which often incorporate running with body weight exercises into a high-intensity interval training regimen. These workouts are scalable to the ability level of each participant. Founder BJ Acaley says he was compelled to start the group when he noticed a lack of gyms in the neighborhood. He hopes that the free workout club will help to keep him accountable and provide other community member with the same motivation.