Paper Moon Pastry (@papermoonpastry, 3523 W. Fullerton Ave.) is hosting Vegan Vortex, its monthly market with “pastry, confection and gifts” crafted by local artisans from 10 am to 6 pm on Saturday and Sunday. Paper Moon Pastry is a Logan Square bakery that prides itself on being “100 percent vegan and 100 percent local.” It also features a large gluten-free selection.
Vegan Vortex is set to feature a pop-up juice bar, vegan chocolate boxes from Katherine Anne Confections (@kachocolatier), gluten-free treats from Bot Bakery (@botbakery), accessories by Tarnish, and even tarot cards and candles. Kelly Peloza (@kellypeloza), author of cookbook “Cheers to Vegan Sweets,” will perform a baking demo of her Root Beer Float Whoopie Pies on Sunday at 4 pm. She will be on hand through the entire market on Saturday and Sunday to promote her book.
“Cheers to Vegan Sweets” is Peloza’s second vegan cookbook. She first wrote “The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur” in 2010 and the second followed last year. “Cheers to Vegan Sweets” is a collection of 105 original dessert recipes inspired by drinks, along with 45 full-color photos. Recipes include Apple Cider Donuts, Mexican Coffee Truffles, Margarita Ice Cream and Shirley Temple Cupcakes. LoganSquarist has her Espresso Fudge Cupcakes recipe for readers to try at home.
The market is also hosting a meet-and-greet with Melisser Elliott (@melisser), author of “The Vegan Girl’s Guide to Life.” Elliott is a globe-hopping beauty expert and blogger at Cruelty Free Face, a site that supports cruelty-free beauty products and animal rights. She will be at Vegan Vortex to answer questions on “veganism, food, travel, makeup” and more on Saturday from 1 pm to 3 pm.
Espresso Fudge Cupcakes
1/2 cup (112 g) vegan margarine
3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
1/2 cup (115 g) non-dairy yogurt
1/4 cup (60m ml) non-dairy milk
1/4 cup (44 g) vegan chocolate chips, melted
1/2 cup (120 ml) strong coffee
1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups (156 g) flour
1/2 cup (59 g) cocoa powder
2 teaspoons (9 g) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons (9.3 g) finely ground coffee beans
Garnish Ingredients (optional):
Coffee beans, whole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius, or gas mark 4).
- Cream together the margarine and sugar. Add the yogurt, milk, chocolate chips, coffee and vanilla extract. Continue beating until fluffy.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and coffee beans and continue mixing until just combined.
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners. Fill each up halfway with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until firm in the center. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Top cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream using a knife or pastry bag.
- To garnish, sprinkle each cupcake with coffee beans, chocolate chips, chocolate curls, and cinnamon.