At LoganSquarist, we’re gearing up for 2017 and boy do we have plans for the coming year! With those plans, we’re staffing up across our teams to be able to serve the Logan Square neighborhood. We have spots for writers, an events manager, a photography assignment editor and marketing professionals to join our ranks.
If you’re looking for a volunteer role with a bunch of kickass neighbors, we’d love to have you. Learn more about our openings below. And if you have another unique set of skills and a passion for your community, feel free to reach out to me to discuss.
Our staff of dedicated writers cover a variety of topics and beats throughout Logan Square. Staff writer responsibilities include uploading articles into our CMS, doing some SEO and promoting articles through social media. Understanding of web writing and meeting deadlines is a must. Familiarity with a CMS system, SEO and social media is a plus, but not required. We provide training in these areas. We’re looking for individuals to cover the following beats:
- Food + Drink: This role includes writing about restaurant and bar openings and closings, as well as food writing. If you enjoy trying new foods and being in-the-know about the restaurant scene, this is for you.
- Business: This role includes business profiles, new business openings and developments throughout the neighborhood. If you like to the heart of a community, this is a role for you.
- Arts + Entertainment: Interests can include gallery shows, live or recorded music, street art, theater and more.
- Politics: Following local political figures’ policies and writing about the changing neighborhood are included in this important role.
- Crime: Staying abreast of local crime stories is the main responsibility of this section, which remains very popular among readers.
- Events: Writing about upcoming events is the gist of this role. Logan Square has plenty of them, with Holidays on the Square and Logan Square Arts Fest, to name just a couple.
- Neighborhood: Major changes to the neighborhood and profiles of the people it houses are two main topics of this role.
- Living: Lifestyle stories are where it’s at. With boutiques aplenty and the farmer’s market each Sunday, there’s no shortage of stories here.
- Family: Become a guide for the families of Logan Square by sharing family friendly events and resources.
- History: Cover historical stories about Logan Square, such as the history of the boulevard, the importance of the Centennial Monument and more.
Do you love planning events? Then join the Events Team! We are looking for additional Events Managers to help us coordinate all LoganSquarist events, including our Monthly Neighbor Meetups, as well as special events such as our annual Taco Crawl, signature event and Awards party. Responsibilities include:
- Reaching out to local businesses as either hosts or donors; securing locations, food + drink, raffle prizes and donations, as needed
- Coordinating and hosting a Neighbor Meetup four times a year
- Having love for the Logan Square neighborhood
- Networking with local businesses to create partners with LoganSquarist
- Attending monthly LoganSquarist Staff meetings, as well as quarterly Events Team meetings
- Must love tacos
Photography Assignment Editor
The Photography Assignment Editor helps to coordinate our team of photographers with requested assignments and schedules, based on availability. Additionally, the P.A.E. takes on the responsibilities of a photographer, augmenting our photography team. In this director role, you’ll also assume training responsibilities, helping other photographers to hone their skills, and work with other leaders, including the Marketing Director, Events Director, Editorial Team and Publisher.
Business Relationship Manager
The Business Relationship Manager reports to the Marketing Director and Publisher, working to strengthen relationships with business owners and organizations, promoting LoganSquarist’s opportunities to such groups and facilitating their needs.
- Soliciting neighborhood business owners to register in the LoganSquarist directory
- Soliciting calendar entries of businesses and organizations
- Communicating opportunities to businesses and organizations
- Drafting communications
- Building contact list in MailChimp
- Supporting ad sales efforts
Digital Store Promotions Manager
As a key marketing position, the Store Promotions Manager coordinates promotional efforts for the LoganSquarist Store, including developing marketing collateral, communication programs and campaigns to reach neighbors regarding the LoganSquarist Store product offering. In addition, we’re looking for someone interesting in growing our store through a Seller Advocacy Program. Self starters welcome. Prior experience in marketing preferred.
Join the Team
Please note we are a volunteer-based organization and cannot pay contributors. Our staff uses the organization as a means for experience building, networking, connecting with the neighborhood and personal fulfillment. Although we regret that we are unable to offer our staff monetary compensation, hugs and wine are given frequently. And we are a fun group that loves Logan Square and would love to have you!
Interested in joining the team? Email your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square to [email protected]. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required. Got a unique idea or skill not listed here that you’d like to bring to our team? Let me know.