As a grassroots organization, we welcome interested individuals to join our enthusiastic team of passionate local residents, writers, artists and professionals who love the Chicago neighborhood of Logan Square and all its unique characteristics. Through your involvement, you’ll be able to grow your portfolio, accumulate clips, gain unique experience and have a great time.
Interested in joining the team? Email your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square to kate at logansquarist dot com. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required. Got a unique idea or skill not listed here that you’d like to bring to our team? Let us know. We ask that all team positions commit to a minimum of a year.
Please note we are a volunteer-based organization and cannot pay contributors. Our staff uses the organization as a means for experience building, networking and personal fulfillment. Although we regret that we are unable to offer our staff monetary compensation, hugs and wine are given frequently. And we are a fun group that loves Logan Square that would love to have you!
Editorial + Photography Team
✶ Managing Editor
LoganSquarist is seeking a managing editor who is interested in news writing and editing. The Managing Editor works with the Editor in Chief to establish the editorial calendar, then communicate with writers as they write their stories. S/he is aware of writers’ deadlines and reminds them as needed. The Managing Editor shares in determining the coverage of LoganSquarist, discusses the neighborhood with the editor and refines pitches and assigns stories, as needed. Familiarity with the neighborhood is preferred, but not required.
✶ Staff Writer
Our staff of dedicated writers cover a variety of topics and beats throughout Logan Square. Staff writer responsibilities includes uploading articles into our CMS, doing some SEO and promoting articles through social media. Understanding of web writing and meeting deadlines is a must. Familiarity with a CMS system, SEO and social media is a plus, but not required. We provide training on these areas. We’re looking for individuals to cover the following beats:
- Food + Drink: This role includes writing about restaurant and bar openings and closings, as well as food writing. If you enjoy trying new foods and being in-the-know about the restaurant scene, this is for you.
- Business: This role includes business profiles, new business openings and developments throughout the neighborhood. If you like to the heart of a community, this is a role for you.
- Arts + Entertainment: Interests can include gallery shows, live or recorded music, street art, theater and more.
- Politics: Following local political figures’ policies and writing about the changing neighborhood are included in this important role.
- Neighborhood: Major changes to the neighborhood, family article, crime roundups, lifestyle stories, neighborhood events and more.
- History: Cover historical stories about Logan Square, such as the history of the boulevard, the importance of the Centennial Monument and more.
Are you interested in being a photographer for the LoganSquarist? This volunteer position is ideal for someone who wants to dedicate their time (at least a year) to photographing on behalf of the publication. Our team is looking for a photographer with a DSLR camera and who shoots in Raw, and has the ability to edit photos. You should have a flash or nice lens to be able to still get great photos even in low lighting. Build your professional portfolio as you support the organization’s needs. Interested in watermarking your photos? You are welcome to, as long as the logo in a corner of the image. We want this to be a beneficial for LoganSquarist and for yourself as well! As a photographer, you will be responsible for:
- Shoot our monthly Neighbor Meetups, as well as special events, which occur every third Wednesday of every month in the evening. Photographers take turns shooting this event; you will shoot this event once every four months.
- Assemble a photo story once a month. You choose a Logan Square subject to shoot photos of, such as a restaurant, shop or event, then create a photo story that portrays the topic. Photographers are responsible to write a couple of paragraphs describing the photo set, as well as craft captions. This is a great opportunity to garner both photo credits and bylines!
- Take photos as assigned to support writers and ongoing editorial coverage.
- Work on different stories with writers to further support our editorial needs.
- Work on ongoing thematic photo stories. Some examples of our ongoing stories are Humans of Logan, Pets of Logan, and Brunch of Logan.
✶ Events Manager
Do you love planning events? Then join the Events Team! We are looking for additional Events Managers to help us coordinate our Monthly Neighbor Meetups, as well as special events such as our annual Taco Crawl, signature event and Awards party. Duties include:
- Reaching out to local businesses as either hosts or donors; securing locations, food + drink, raffle prizes and donations, as needed
- Coordinating and hosting a Neighbor Meetup four times a year
- Having love for the Logan Square neighborhood
- Networking with local businesses to create partners with LoganSquarist
- Attending monthly LoganSquarist Staff meetings, as well as quarterly Events Team meetings
- Must love tacos
Interested in joining the team? Share your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required.
✶ Marketing Director
The LoganSquarist Marketing Director leads our overall marketing efforts, in partnership with the publisher. This role is responsible for providing guidance to our marketing department by evaluating and developing marketing strategies, planning and coordinating marketing efforts, communicating the marketing plans to those involved, and building awareness and positioning for LoganSquarist. Responsibilities include:
- Overseeing marketing department.
- Evaluating and developing our marketing strategy and marketing plan.
- Planning, directing and coordinating marketing efforts.
- Working with other teams to ensure marketing initiative execution.
- Developing and managing campaigns.
- Building brand awareness and positioning.
- Supporting lead generation efforts.
- Coordinating marketing projects from start to finish.
- Overseeing social media marketing strategy and content marketing.
✶ Public Relations Manager
The role of the Public Relations volunteer will be to help LoganSquarist expand its reach and work to strengthen relationships with business owners and organizations, promoting LoganSquarist’s opportunities to such groups and facilitating their needs. You will be at the front of the organization and will have the dedication to create and apply an effective strategies to foster new relationships, sponsorships and advertising deals. The goal is to drive sustainable professional, community and financial growth through boosting sales and forging strong relationships with the leaders of and people who compose Logan Square. Skills include ability and desire foster an environment of growth and fun; relationship building; and strong communication skills.
Are you a college student working on a communications, journalism, photography, graphic design, marketing or events planning degree? Are you looking for professional experience to complement your education? LoganSquarist will help cultivate your education and career experience.
✶ Guest Contributors
We welcome both first-time and experienced writers to contribute stories on an occasional basis. These writers don’t necessarily cover a beat and submit articles on an occasional basis. Guest columnists with a special understanding and background in a particular area are welcome to propose an ideal for an informative monthly column. And if you’re a business owner or neighborhood mover and shaker we’d love your contributions in crafting a monthly column idea. If you’d like to contribute a story, review our Submission Guidelines before sending us your story through our contact form.
Interested in joining the team? Email your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square to [email protected]. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required. Got a unique idea or skill not listed here that you’d like to bring to our team? Let us know.