As a grassroots organization, we welcome interested individuals to join our enthusiastic team of passionate local residents, writers, artists and professionals who love the Chicago neighborhood of Logan Square and all its unique characteristics. Through your involvement, you’ll be able to grow your portfolio, accumulate clips, gain unique experience and have a great time.
Interested in joining the team? Email your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square to kate at logansquarist dot com. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required. Got a unique idea or skill not listed here that you’d like to bring to our team? Let us know. We ask that all team positions commit to a minimum of a year.
Please note we are a volunteer-based organization and cannot pay contributors. Our staff uses the organization as a means for experience building, networking and personal fulfillment. Although we regret that we are unable to offer our staff monetary compensation, hugs and wine are given frequently. And we are a fun group that loves Logan Square that would love to have you!
Editorial + Photography Team
✶ Staff Writers
Our staff of dedicated writers cover a variety of topics and beats throughout Logan Square. Staff writer responsibilities includes uploading articles into our CMS, doing some SEO and promoting articles through social media. Understanding of web writing and meeting deadlines is a must. Familiarity with a CMS system, SEO and social media is a plus, but not required. We provide training on these areas. We’re looking for individuals to cover the following beats:
- Food + Drink: This role includes writing about restaurant and bar openings and closings, as well as food writing. If you enjoy trying new foods and being in-the-know about the restaurant scene, this is for you.
- Business: This role includes business profiles, new business openings and developments throughout the neighborhood. If you like to the heart of a community, this is a role for you.
- Arts + Entertainment: Interests can include gallery shows, live or recorded music, street art, theater and more.
- Politics: Following local political figures’ policies and writing about the changing neighborhood are included in this important role.
- Neighborhood: Major changes to the neighborhood, family article, crime roundups, lifestyle stories, neighborhood events and more.
- History: Cover historical stories about Logan Square, such as the history of the boulevard, the importance of the Centennial Monument and more.
Are you interested in being a photographer for the LoganSquarist? This volunteer position is ideal for someone who wants to dedicate their time (at least a year) to photographing on behalf of the publication. Our team is looking for a photographer with a DSLR camera and who shoots in Raw, and has the ability to edit photos. You should have a flash or nice lens to be able to still get great photos even in low lighting. Build your professional portfolio as you support the organization’s needs. Interested in watermarking your photos? You are welcome to, as long as the logo in a corner of the image. We want this to be a beneficial for LoganSquarist and for yourself as well! As a photographer, you will be responsible for:
- Shoot our monthly Neighbor Meetups, as well as special events, which occur every third Wednesday of every month in the evening. Photographers take turns shooting this event; you will shoot this event once every four months.
- Assemble a photo story once a month. You choose a Logan Square subject to shoot photos of, such as a restaurant, shop or event, then create a photo story that portrays the topic. Photographers are responsible to write a couple of paragraphs describing the photo set, as well as craft captions. This is a great opportunity to garner both photo credits and bylines!
- Take stock photos of storefronts, neighborhood sites and more to contribute to our photo bank.
- Work on different stories with writers to further support our editorial needs.
- Work on ongoing thematic photo stories. Some examples of our ongoing stories are Humans of Logan, Pets of Logan, and Brunch of Logan.
- Photo story (once a week) – work with Editor In Chief to secure topics
- Meetup coverage (once a month) – take team photo for every meet up as well as document the night
- Assignments from the writers (as needed) – This is at different times and places but as many as you can go to
- Stock Photos – once you complete this it can be on the back burner and you will only have to add to it with new businesses opening up
- Humans/Pets of Logan – at least 10 photos (together) every week
✶ Marketing Manager
The role of Marketing Manager will be to assist the marketing team under the direction of the marketing director in helping promote LoganSquarist events, team-focused events and the organization as a whole, which strives to socialize the neighborhood and build relationships. Additionally, this individual would support content calendar development and content creation. It’s really a right-hand position to the marketing director. We’re looking for someone with prior marketing experience, with an interest in joining a community organization. Strong communication and organization skills a must. Role includes:
- Support email marketing efforts including the messaging, content and deploying
- Research and write press releases on LoganSquarist events, community outreach and accolades
- Maintain a media list and database, work with business relationship manager to stay on top of this
- Develop social media content relevant to the event, community outreach and accolades (any positive PR)
- Support with Twitter content (please refer to the wiki for the login information)
✶ Account Business Manager
The role of the Account Business Manager volunteer will be to help LoganSquarist expand its reach and work to strengthen relationships with business owners and organizations, promoting LoganSquarist’s opportunities to such groups and facilitating their needs. You will be at the front of the organization and will have the dedication to create and apply an effective strategies to foster new relationships, sponsorships and advertising deals. The goal is to drive sustainable professional, community and financial growth through boosting sales and forging strong relationships with the leaders of and people who compose Logan Square. Skills include ability and desire foster an environment of growth and fun; relationship building; and strong communication skills.
Calendar + Directory Team
✶ Calendar + Directory Manager
The Calendar + Directory Manager is responsible for ensuring the continued operation of the LoganSquarist calendar and business directory. This position reports to the Publisher. Responsibilities include:
- approving and monitoring the relevance of calendar submissions and directory listing claims
- providing support to events submitters
- providing support to new directory users
- attending monthly staff meetings, trainings, and neighbor meetups
- supporting and implementing the strategic directions of LoganSquarist
- ensuring commitment to professional excellence.
Ideal candidates should demonstrate high levels of communication skills (both verbal and written); record-keeping and organization skills; and demonstrated client service abilities. Familiarity with WordPress a plus.
✶ Contributors + Guest Columnists
We welcome both first-time and experienced writers to contribute stories on an occasional basis. These writers don’t necessarily cover a beat and submit articles on an occasional basis. Guest columnists with a special understanding and background in a particular area are welcome to propose an ideal for an informative monthly column. And if you’re a business owner or neighborhood mover and shaker we’d love your contributions in crafting a monthly column idea. If you’d like to contribute a story, review our Submission Guidelines before sending us your story through our contact form.
Are you a college student working on a communications, journalism, photography, graphic design, marketing or events planning degree? Are you looking for professional experience to complement your education? LoganSquarist will help cultivate your education and career experience.
Interested in joining the team? Email your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square to kate at logansquarist dot com. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required. Got a unique idea or skill not listed here that you’d like to bring to our team? Let us know.