As a grassroots organization, we welcome interested individuals to join our enthusiastic team of passionate local residents, writers, artists and professionals who love the Chicago neighborhood of Logan Square and all its unique characteristics. Through your involvement, you’ll be able to grow your portfolio, accumulate clips, gain unique experience and have a great time.
Interested in joining the team? Email your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square to kate at logansquarist dot com. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required. Got a unique idea or skill not listed here that you’d like to bring to our team? Let us know. We ask that all team positions commit to a minimum of a year.
Please note we are a volunteer-based organization and cannot pay contributors. Our staff uses the organization as a means for experience building, networking and personal fulfillment. Although we regret that we are unable to offer our staff monetary compensation, hugs and wine are given frequently. And we are a fun group that loves Logan Square that would love to have you!
✶ Section Editor(s)
The section editor is responsible for managing a section of LoganSquarist, as defined by the categories on our site. Managing a section would include assigning stories and accepting pitches, guiding writers during the reporting and writing of a story and editing the stories submitted. This would represent one story per week. The section editor would be expected to write a story for that section at least once a month.
The Editor-in-Chief (EIC) would be available to consult for any decisions and would have final editorial control, but the section editor would have freedom to mold the section as s/he sees fit.
Compared to a writing position, the section editor position will provide a greater understanding and implementation of the reporting process. It will teach the ability to recognize the good qualities in pitches and work with writers to improve them. This would be accomplished with the support of the EIC as necessary. Section editor candidates should have a greater interest in leadership and decision-making and will be introduced to a great deal more training in news editing.
✶ Staff Writer(s)
Our staff of dedicated writers cover a variety of topics and beats throughout Logan Square. Staff writer responsibilities includes uploading articles into our CMS, doing some SEO and promoting articles through social media. Understanding of web writing and meeting deadlines is a must. Familiarity with a CMS system, SEO and social media is a plus, but not required. We provide training on these areas. We’re looking for individuals to cover the following beats:
- Food + Drink: This role includes writing about restaurant and bar openings and closings, as well as food writing. If you enjoy trying new foods and being in-the-know about the restaurant scene, this is for you.
- Business: This role includes business profiles, new business openings and developments throughout the neighborhood. If you like to the heart of a community, this is a role for you.
- Arts + Entertainment: Interests can include gallery shows, live or recorded music, street art, theater and more.
- Politics: Following local political figures’ policies and writing about the changing neighborhood are included in this important role.
- Crime: Staying abreast of local crime stories is the main responsibility of this section, which remains very popular among readers.
- Events: Writing about upcoming events is the gist of this role. Logan Square has plenty of them, with Holidays on the Square and Logan Square Arts Fest, to name just a couple.
- Neighborhood: Major changes to the neighborhood and profiles of the people it houses are two main topics of this role.
- Living: Lifestyle stories are where it’s at. With boutiques aplenty and the farmer’s market each Sunday, there’s no shortage of stories here.
- Family: Become a guide for the families of Logan Square by sharing family friendly events and resources.
- History: Cover historical stories about Logan Square, such as the history of the boulevard, the importance of the Centennial Monument and more.
Are you interested in being a photographer for the LoganSquarist? This volunteer position is ideal for someone who wants to dedicate their time (at least a year) to photographing on behalf of the publication. Our team is looking for a photographer with a DSLR camera and who shoots in Raw, and has the ability to edit photos. You should have a flash or nice lens to be able to still get great photos even in low lighting. Build your professional portfolio as you support the organization’s needs. Interested in watermarking your photos? You are welcome to, as long as the logo in a corner of the image. We want this to be a beneficial for LoganSquarist and for yourself as well! As a photographer, you will be responsible for:
- Shoot our monthly Neighbor Meetups, as well as special events, which occur every third Wednesday of every month in the evening. Photographers take turns shooting this event; you will shoot this event once every four months.
- Assemble a photo story once a month. You choose a Logan Square subject to shoot photos of, such as a restaurant, shop or event, then create a photo story that portrays the topic. Photographers are responsible to write a couple of paragraphs describing the photo set, as well as craft captions. This is a great opportunity to garner both photo credits and bylines!
- Take stock photos of storefronts, neighborhood sites and more to contribute to our photo bank.
- Work on different stories with writers to further support our editorial needs.
- Work on ongoing thematic photo stories. Some examples of our ongoing stories are Humans of Logan, Pets of Logan, and Brunch of Logan.
- Photo story (once a week) – work with Editor In Chief to secure topics
- Meetup coverage (once a month) – take team photo for every meet up as well as document the night
- Assignments from the writers (as needed) – This is at different times and places but as many as you can go to
- Stock Photos – once you complete this it can be on the back burner and you will only have to add to it with new businesses opening up
- Humans/Pets of Logan – at least 10 photos (together) every week
✶ Events Manager
Do you love planning events? Then join the Events Team! We are looking for additional Events Managers to help us coordinate our Monthly Neighbor Meetups, as well as special events such as our annual Taco Crawl, signature event and Awards party. Responsibilities include:
- Reaching out to local businesses as either hosts or donors; securing locations, food + drink, raffle prizes and donations, as needed
- Coordinating and hosting a Neighbor Meetup four times a year
- Having love for the Logan Square neighborhood
- Networking with local businesses to create partners with LoganSquarist
- Attending monthly LoganSquarist Staff meetings, as well as quarterly Events Team meetings
- Must love tacos
✶ Event Communications Manager
The events communication writer will be working alongside staff members throughout LoganSquarist, in particular the events managers, editor-in-chief and other member of the marketing team. The role includes:
- Create social media content about LoganSquarist events
- Align social media content with the events promotion, supporting the senior social media manager and social media manager
- Write preview events articles for the LoganSquarist website
- Write stories about the events (post coverage)
- Help with PR of the events, i.e. writing press releases and conducting media outreach
- Help edit and support junior marketing managers on their press releases and media outreach
- Excellent communication
- Is able to write clearly, accurately and succinctly
- Can be flexible with their time
✶ Digital Store Promotions Manager
As a key marketing position, the Digital Store Promotions Manager coordinates promotional efforts for the LoganSquarist Store, including developing marketing collateral, communication programs and campaigns to reach neighbors regarding the LoganSquarist Store product offering. In addition, we’re looking for someone interesting in growing our store through a Seller Advocacy Program. Self starters welcome. Prior experience in marketing preferred.
✶ Calendar/Directory Manager
The Calendar/Directory Manager manages our Calendar of Events and Directory. Responsibilities for the Calendar include: adding events, festivals, shows and happenings throughout the neighborhood, as well as editing neighborhood submitted articles for overall accuracy, typos and publication style. This role is ideal for an individual keen on hunting down upcoming events and maintaining a calendar database. Good writing skills are a must. Ideal candidates should demonstrate high levels of communication skills (both verbal and written); record-keeping and organization skills; and demonstrated client service abilities. Familiarity with WordPress a plus.
- adds and edits events to Calendar and maintains events database
- approves and monitoring the relevance of directory listing claims
- provides support to new directory users
- serves as part of our leadership team and attends monthly leadership/staff meetings, trainings, and neighbor meetups
- supports and implements the strategic directions of LoganSquarist
- ensures commitment to professional excellence
- reports to Publisher
✶ Web Manager
- reports to senior web director
- identifies website needs, updates and site improvements
- maintains site functionality
- works with website vendors
✶ Contributors + Guest Columnists
We welcome both first-time and experienced writers to contribute stories on an occasional basis. These writers don’t necessarily cover a beat and submit articles on an occasional basis. Guest columnists with a special understanding and background in a particular area are welcome to propose an ideal for an informative monthly column. And if you’re a business owner or neighborhood mover and shaker we’d love your contributions in crafting a monthly column idea. If you’d like to contribute a story, review our Submission Guidelines before sending us your story through our contact form.
Are you a college student working on a communications, journalism, photography, graphic design, marketing or events planning degree? Are you looking for professional experience to complement your education? LoganSquarist will help cultivate your education and career experience.
Interested in joining the team? Email your interest, relevant experience (resume, portfolio, clips or samples, if available) and love of Logan Square to kate at logansquarist dot com. Familiarity with the neighborhood is helpful, but not required. Got a unique idea or skill not listed here that you’d like to bring to our team? Let us know.